Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dispatch number 5 Fred broke his thighs and "the incident"

Today is Thursday, July 15th, day 7 of our adventure and our second full day of camping in Dillon.

Fred broke his thighs.  Maybe his calves too.  He found out that you can not squat down under a bus 200 times without painful results.  Remember, this is a guy who has to be reminded to push away from the computer and walk around twice a day.  At home, I swear, I have to tell him to stand up at 4 hour intervals. It's my job.  Tonight he begged me to let him go to bed at 9:15.  Mind you, it is still light here in Montana at 9:15.  I made him stay up until dark; 9:45, 8:45 Phoenix time.

Mosquitoes have become an issue and we haven't even gotten to Wisconsin yet.  Oh my....

Today was laundry day.  Our salesman told Fred he had run the washer and it worked fine which was a relief to me.  Can you imagine a malfunction of that piece of equipment?  We've all been there.
So, a load of whites go in, clean wet load of white clothes come out. Clothes go into the dryer.  Stop......could that haze covering the inside of the dryer be black grimy dirt????? Why yes it is.  Did it get on the white shirts and towels???? Why yes it did. You must picture me on a step stool peering into this dryer high above my head with a flashlight, horrified, looking every where for someone to yell at.  No one to blame...Just me. I so hate it when that happens.

Lesson learned day 7: Check to see if a dryer is clean BEFORE loading wet clothes into it.  It's a good rule of thumb for any strange dryer. It took me 45 minutes to dismantle and clean the lint filter and clean the drum of the dryer not to mention rewashing the “clean” clothes before I could dry them.  Good news, we now have a clean washer and dryer and clean clothes. I've also decided to purchase black towels and underwear just to make my life easier.

Watch for my new sporadic section entitled: Celebrations, Surprises, and Disappointments

Well, I suppose you all want to know about “the Incident”  Here goes......

On our first days out, we discovered that lots of doors and cupboards and refrigerators fly open unexpectedly during travel.  We are not yet familiar with all the bangs and clicks and clangs that occur on the road so at first my seat belt would go flying as I lunged out of my chair and surfed my way back to see what was the matter.  Slowly we became desensitized to the clatter and just ignored it. So, it's hot, we are leaving Vegas and drinking lots and lots of water.  We have to pee.  We stop the bus (since we are THE luckiest people on the road who happen to have their own toilet...gloat, gloat.  I arrive at the appropriate area just off the kitchen and there is a plate glass mirror reflecting me, knees squeezed tightly together with Fred behind me with floating teeth. The mirrored closet door has swung open and the support hinge has locked into place.  Behind it, lies the bathroom and bedroom, literally, half the coach. We are locked out....not good.  We try everything known to us to get that support hinge unlocked.  My ideas are dismissed as silly, his ideas do not work.  I give up, turn my back and Fred lunges at it and breaks the support hinge off that holds the door in place.  Not such a bad solution since we both really have to pee. This alone, does not constitute “the incident.”  Fred decides the hinge is a menace and decides not to replace it. Later, imagine me in a closet with a heavily mirrored door that keeps closing on me as I try to hang up the clothes and hold onto the door at the same time. So, I let go of the door so I can use both hands to get Fred's shirts in the closet unwrinkled. The bus is not on level ground.  The closet door swings open and continues (sans hinge) to plunge into the corian counter in the kitchen.  Did I mention these doors were made of plate glass mirror? So in 13 years every owner managed to keep these mirrors in perfect shape and in 2 days, I put a hefty star burst crack in a prominent door. I felt so, so bad that I cried.  Then I remembered something my friend Charlene said, “who wants mirrors in front of the toilet?” “They must be replaced!" After all, who wants to watch themselves, well, you can imagine.  So this “ incident”  resulting in a fast growing star burst in the glass is really the beginning of Charlene's plan to replace these doors.  I just got things rolling.  I can see that, now that a few days have passed. But let me tell you, it was “the incident” in my mind for many days. I am a total nut case when it comes to keeping my possessions in tip top shape.  Ask anyone that knows me well and the unflattering words, “anal retentive” may surface. Well not anymore.  The incident has taught me to lighten up.  Now it seems I'm in “lighten up” rehab too.  It's got to be easier than breaking a TV addiction.  Trust me.

Pictures tomorrow.....

From the road
-robin

No comments:

Post a Comment