Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dispatch number 4 Fred forgot my birthday...again

Today is Wednesday, July 14th, day 6 of our adventure and our first full day of NO driving.

The big news today is that it is my birthday and Fred forgot.  No present, no card, no clue.
He reminds me of my son, Josh, who is the King of forgetting  my birthday.  Perhaps the King moniker should pass to Fred and Josh should become the Prince based on the fact that Fred lives with me and Josh lives in Vancouver.  Plus.......Fred listened to our home phone messages and relayed birthday greetings to me from a neighbor yesterday. A few of you remember my Dad who was very thrifty. The joke in my family for years was that he would take my mother to the store on her birthday and let her read as many cards as she wanted, he just wouldn't buy one.  Ah, I long for that level of affection...:)

We went to Safeway in Dillon where I conferred with the bakery lady as to which cake was the very best for a girl to buy for herself and settled on the Penguin Bistro Cake.  It is a Chocolate cake with  fudge between two layers and white butter creme frosting slathered over the outside and decorated with penguin feathers made of  chocolate and white chocolate curls.  Yum.  It weighed  2.75 pounds without candles. One serving accompanied by ice cream repaired my thighs. (you will recall they were stretched to the breaking point during transmission repair) My pancreas and gall bladder are now tackling the intense infusion of Crisco and sugar. Not to worry, that's why God gave us internal organs.

We are in Dillon, Montana which was named one of America's prettiest towns by Forbes magazine.
The campsite is idyllic, the town, very picturesque, and the weather is heavenly.  It was 46 degrees this morning with a high of about 77. Bright blue skies, marshmallow clouds, a variety of greens in the grasses that swish in the breeze and multi-colored mountains that rise up in the background, stippled with snow. It's a good thing the surroundings are so soothing as we still do not have the television I was promised. I am exhibiting signs of TV withdrawal.  Without “Doctor OZ” I have no idea what germs to avoid.  Captain Phil died on a special two hour “Deadliest Catch” and I had to read about it on Face Book. That's just not right.    My only solace is that Oprah is in reruns and with only two burners and 4 inches of counter space, Martha Stewart would be too frustrating, bordering on depression. Clearly, the TV rehab has not worked.  I'm getting cranky.

Lessons learned day 6: Turn the lights on in the shower before you get in.  Although you can look up and see yourself in the mirror from the top down (weird) and you can look sideways and note if all your backside is lathered properly, (gross) you cannot read the labels on the bottles.   At 57, I need light and glasses to do just about anything including identifying the conditioner.

Stay tuned for dispatch #5.  Several days ago, Fred and I experienced what we now refer to as “the incident.” I have been waiting for a few days to pass hoping the humor in “the incident” would emerge and I could tell you all about it. It is starting to get funny....

(By the way, these messages will come out in the order of events, but not necessarily on the day written. This is due to the ever changing reliability of the internet service)

from the road
-robin

No comments:

Post a Comment