Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dispatch number 3 I broke my thighs

Today is Tuesday, July 13th, day 5 of our adventure and our first full day of driving.

We spent the first ½ of Monday at the repair shop where I met Tony the Trucker from Tennessee in the waiting room.  We swapped stories about life on the road (his 20 years, my 3 and ½ days) while Fred paced and grumbled.  I had a marvelous time with Tony the Trucker and laughed the whole time the transmission was being serviced. Fred was not amused and made me leave the drivers lounge and wait in the office.  July 12th, 2002 was our first date so we celebrated 8 years together at the Cracker Barrel.  I love the Cracker Barrel almost as much as I love Fred....they have chicken fried everything!

Lessons learned day 4:  When the coach moves, the shelves in the refrigerator move forward leaving a gap in the back.  A jar of applesauce, when pushed to the rear, will drop, bounce and break on the tile floor. This happened at the repair shop while they were working on the coach and I was making lunch.  I was in a full squat, cleaning up the glass and glop when the coach was rolled backwards and up onto wheel ramps; a motion that was totally unexpected on my part. I rode that wild wave like Gidget but I think I broke my thighs.

We spent the night at a rest stop which, unlike Arizona, was open and quite lovely. There were a lot of truckers parked there but Fred said it was too late for me to introduce myself to the neighbors.

Noon on Tuesday; Salt Lake City at last, but only to do a little grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. Classiest Wal-Mart I've ever seen and that is a word seldom associated with that chain.

Lessons learned day 5: In Utah, a lady will actually get out of her car and move a heavy construction barricade so Fred won't have to mow it down while exiting Wal-Mart.

1 of 15 books read: “Sizzling Sixteen,”  A Stephanie Plum Novel.

Next stop: Montana.

from the road
-robin

No comments:

Post a Comment