Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Shelby, Charlotte, Edinburg to Plainview

Monday  September 27 Day 74



We have been in the Smokey Mountains for a few days and tonight we are readying the coach to move on in the morning.  I am writing and editing pictures as I do laundry to try and get caught up on our adventures.  These dispatches are starting to feel like homework that I'm turning in late.  I hope reading them doesn't feel like grading papers to all of you. 


I'm guessing that if you are tired of it all, then you are not even reading this, so I will continue with Charlotte and the Shelby hamfest. 

Day 57 through Day 62

We attended a very large hamfest in a town called Dallas, North Carolina.  It was held at the Gaston County Fairgrounds where we shopped, spoke, and slept.  Fred rented a golf cart so he could get around to an almost endless supply of ham radio garage sale artifacts. You have to admit he elevates shopping to a high art form.  The pictures will show you the alpha and omega of this place. It was very pretty with a lake and ducks but it also had a porta john with an antennae and an endless supply of “artifacts.”

Ham radio artifacts for sale

On Sunday we drove into Charlotte and took another horse drawn carriage ride with no cigar and no company.  I didn't miss either one.  The pictures  show an East Indian street festival that we stumbled upon as well as a glimpse of downtown Charlotte.





Our next one day layover was at the Creekside Campground in Edinburg, Virginia.  Lots of history in the town and in the ducks. The campground owner told us all about each duck....You don't want to know. However, I must admit, it was much nicer there with a boring campground owner than it was sleeping in the Prevost bus company parking lot. We got a lube job. Fred got to watch and take pictures. He acted like it was Disneyland for goodness sakes.  My oh my he does love his bus.


Lots more pictures here...

From the road:
-robin    

No comments:

Post a Comment