Thursday, September 9, 2010

Clearwater, Florida – August 23-29   Days 46-52

The Sunshine state
We had a GRAND time in Clearwater Florida.  We arrived in a downpour and had to park at the campground filling up with water. Our friend Chris Noell suggested a campground that actually bordered his property where he and Cheryl and their dog, HollyRaisin live. Chris showed up to laugh hysterically while Fred and I worked in the rain to park and hook up electricity, water, sewer and cable
 We couldn't make the sharp right turn towing the car so Fred went out and unhooked the jeep....first soaking.  Then he tried to back into the spot and needed me to guide him in so that was my first soaking. I tried to use an umbrella and that turned out to be so ill conceived that I'm embarrassed to mention it.  We are talking POURING, DUMPING, rain.  Then I had to go retrieve the jeep, third soaking.  Trisha and Robert drove up to take us to dinner and they started laughing too.  It was finally decided that since we were unworthy of taking to a restaurant, that we should all gather at Cheryl and Chris' house for a spaghetti dinner. Yummo!  I looked like a drowned poodle but no one mentioned it and we were so glad to be with true friends that we were thrilled! I wanted to cry I was so happy to be with people that knew me and loved me (there are not that many!)  I have been so lonely for all my friends that I was about to tear up each day.  I truly did not know what close friends meant to me until they are far away. We had a marvelous time with everyone and Cheryl's brother and dog also.  I felt like I had come home even though I was thousands of miles away. 
We checked out all the towns and landed on the beach of Fred's youth on Tuesday.  I checked and his name was not  spray painted on  the girls bathroom wall. Trish fed us at her house Tuesday night and then wisked me away on Wednesday morning to have my hair cut and colored.  The girl who did it was from Ethiopia and had a fabulous story to tell.  The result, not so normal for me, very trendy for the world to day.  Fred had to work and went to one of our moderator's homes to interview him and check out his ham radio set up.


We toured the area, shopped in Dunedin (I bought a purse you will all covet) and got rained on.  The streets of Dunedin were so flooded I was afraid the jeep wouldn't even get through the intersection. And they call this “The Sunshine State.”

We were wined and dined by the Noells like we were royalty.  It was fabulous to have  friends close by.  Chris and Robert's dad, Bobby, took us out on his boat for a day and we were thrilled.  It was too fun. Lots of pictures with captions  follow....somewhere....I still have to have Fred figure this whole blog thing out.  Would you all rather just get an email or is the blog working for you?

We just got word that Jaime was in a car wreck that totaled her car.  She and the other person are unharmed due to lots of airbags. If anyone has a car they are selling, I know someone who is buying.


Surprises: We never saw an alligator
Celebrations : Spending time with good friends
Disappointments: It rained 6 of the 7 days we were in Florida


Thanks and check out this collection of 27 pictures...

from the road:
robin

No comments:

Post a Comment